Sunday, November 1, 2009

the end

The night still embodied the ominous darkness of foreshadowed decay and despair, and I was already awakened from my sleep. My mom and dad rustled my sheets and urgently awoke me to the menacing day approaching. The terrorist level had been raised to a code red. Some catastrophic event was soon going to occur; yet no one knew what it was. The government was offering no clues to what the situation was truly unveiling, and everyone was simply told to immediately take flight to the countless safe zones scattered throughout the nation.
I quickly packed all my belongings and rose to my feet in a few moments, ready to face the day before me. My parents started driving us down my road, in the direction towards the designated shelter that was supposed to be about a twenty minute drive away. A minute down the road and we came to a massive pile of woodchips blocking a large piece of the way; a sign propped on top, proclaiming that the end was here. We easily drove past the objects, wondering why anyone would put those there, and ignored the scary message. The questions of what was truly taking place that early morning multiplied and thickened.
We arrived at the shelter, a massive hospital modified into this apocalyptic protection facility. There were countless people wandering around the place, asking questions with nervous faces and blank expressions. I parted with my parents and explored the hospital, watching all the people. I saw a few kids I knew from school and exchanged some brief words in an attempt to shed some light on the situation. A few other familiar faces were present among the sea of strangers. I had a few more brief conversations and then let my curiosity guide me as I went outside of the hospital to the park behind the building. There was a large playground where many lost looking people lay scattered about. Everyone looked confused and scared as to what was going to occur that day.
I kept walking past the playground, past a few sports fields, and approached a path in a dark and overgrown forest. Reaching this marker in my existence, I thought back to the hospital, to the people there. Something was terribly wrong with this whole situation. I wasn’t going back.
I entered the forest and walked for a while on the path, which eventually started to ascend. I soon reached the top of a large hill, which gave a view of the hospital and all the nervous little people congregating to their deaths. I climbed up higher.
A girl was present at a higher part on the climb, watching everything below her. The view was amazing from this point of view. I nudged her, knocking her out of a trance that fully admired the surreal and lonely landscape present all around us. She stared at me blankly, a few tears on her cheeks. She offered me a subtle, kind smile and grabbed my hand, tugging me back into the ever-ascending trail through the forest.
She was mysterious, and very endearing. We kept verbal discussion to a minimum but we had an overwhelming sense of understanding and warmth for one another. No one else had taken the initiative to come up here. Each person was instead blindly awaiting some terrible event down in the hospital below.
We kept on hiking up, until we finally came upon a little cliff, an opening spot in the trees where we could see for miles around our poor little human bodies. We looked out upon the world, and I felt extremely dissociated as I witnessed the surreal scene of destruction taking place. Every building we could see in the beautiful view was burning. Large, intimidating flames of another world. The hospital was on fire as well. Thousands of people burned inside, cooked into pathetic perfection by a failed god from another dimension. I felt no emotion, only the disconnection from reality.
I turned to look at my female companion and
I accidentally killed her. I didn’t mean to but I had slit her throat with the butcher’s knife in my pocket. Her blood poured out onto my shirt, dirtying a perfectly good shirt.
I hacked the knife into her chest, releasing the stunning, BEAUTIFULLY red fluid from her wretched and evil little human body.
I looked out into the horizon and the scene around me. The hospital was burning. My mom and dad were there but I didn’t care. Other people I knew were there too. Big woop.
I leaned to the girl about to kiss her, but she was bleeding. What the hell had happened to her???
I looked out onto the view present from the high enclave. The hospital was there, but it was burning. A few other buildings were burning too.
The girl jumped off the cliff; no, I pushed her.
I pulled the trigger, shattering my mind into infinite, shattering my frail little glass brain into a million shining little shards of human waste.

No comments: