Tuesday, July 28, 2009

apocalyptic toddler

I don't know how I ended up with her, but she was a beautiful little girl. I felt like a father to her, offering guidance and stability. She had a gift, but she did not know how to control it. Terrible events would unveil themselves around her precious little soul. When two men died after trying to approach her, I knew that she had a gift that was not of this world. She cried after this happened, and I held her tight. It was not her fault, she did not mean to do it. But she did. And the events only got worse.

We were in a large public building. Stores and offices all were crammed into the complex; many people going about their daily lives. Sarah started to look sick, and I tried to comfort her. Everything was okay, she only had a stomach ache. In a few minutes however, people started to smell smoke. Some part of the building was on fire. Sarah slowly started getting more sick and incoherent, and panic started to ensue. A huge mob tried to all exit the building at once. People were running from the fire, afraid that it would spread in a violent manner. In the chaos Sarah and I ended up down the street, looking up at the colossal structure amongst the countless other city buildings. Countless people ran by, looking back at the horrific scene unfolding on the beautiful July afternoon. Smoke was billowing out of the top of the building at this point. Some where trapped upstairs because of the fire, and people all over were running for their lives. Sarah had a blank expression as she watched the chaos, and she urged me to stop running. She was crying at the scene on front of her, tears rolling down her precious little face. Then she said a number, "10." Her little voice continued. "9." "8." "7." She continued the countdown, shaking and crying more at each interval. When she approached the number one, a huge explosion ripped the building to pieces. Everyone screamed. People jumped from the top floors. Rubble started to flood down the street towards us, and Sarah blacked out. I grabbed her and ducked under the nearest car, all vision altered from the clouds of rubble enveloping the apocalyptic city street.

You can enter a bookstore today and read plenty of books on the apocalypse. I saw it unfold that day and I know I will see it unfold more. The end is near..

No comments: